Energy Cast is a podcast featuring some of the top experts across all links in the energy industry chain, including electric vehicles, renewables, generation and more! Jay Dauenhauer created the show and has been hosting Energy Cast for several years.
To help cure the craving for live events, this week, our featured podcast covers Dauenhauer’s experience at North American Young Generation in Nuclear 2019. Dauenhauer is also a member of the DISTRIBUTECH International advisory committees.
DISTRIBUTECH is holding its first virtual event of the DISTRIBUTECH+ series next week, September 23-24, which will cover many of the topics highlighted in this episode. CLICK HERE to register for DISTRIBUTECH+ if these topics interest you!
Click below to listen to the full episode:
Earlier this summer I was approached by the North American Young Generation in Nuclear (NAYGN) about presenting at their Carolinas Chapter conference. The discussion quickly expanded into a Panel.
Luckily, I was able to get three incredible Panelists:
- Bruce McKay, Senior Energy Policy Director for Dominion Energy
- Ronny Just, Governmental Relations Manager for Georgia Power
- Peter Toomey, Senior Vice President of Corporate and Regulatory Strategy for Duke Energy
As you can see from my questions, I wanted to cover as much energy policy as possible. This being a nuclear organization, I focused on SMRs, Vogtle and early closures, which was covered in my interview with Ed McGinnis in Episode 63.
For renewables, I started with the importance of large-scale storage, such as Dominion’s Bath County Pumped Storage facility. We also drew a contrast with those technologies and conventional batteries.
During our fossil conversation we discussed the need for carbon capture, utilization, and storage – especially for natural gas.
The panel also offered a few opportunities to showcase some of these companies’ unique accomplishments, including:
- Duke’s Renewable Control Center and massive Solar footprint in N.C.
- Dominion’s recent Offshore Wind development and Renewable Natural Gas effort
- Georgia Power’s (Southern Company) Vogtle 3 & 4 Nuclear expansion and their operation of the National Carbon Capture Center
(This podcast originally aired in August 2019).
Energy Cast Podcast is hosted biweekly by Jay Dauenhauer.
Learn more about the podcast here.