Reliant Energy announced the continuation of several statewide programs that will aid residential critical care customers, qualified low-income seniors and other low-income customers with managing electricity bills this summer.
The company also announced that it will provide some new “heat relief” summer entertainment options, some free of charge, for families impacted by the downturn in the economy, as well as the continuation of the fourth year of the Reliant Energy Beat the Heat Centers and a newly created home energy audit program with Rebuilding Together Houston.
From July 1 through Sept. 30, 2009, Reliant Energy will offer special assistance to critical care residential customers, qualified low-income seniors and other low-income residential customers, in addition to programs that already are available. Programs include:
* a $1 million annual commitment to assist low-income and elderly residential customers pay their electricity bills through CARE (Community Assistance from Reliant Energy);
* a moratorium on disconnecting electricity service for low-income seniors, critical-care, and other low-income residential customers who contact Reliant Energy and agree to a payment plan;
* waiving residential customer deposits for qualified senior citizens;
* offering deposit installments for qualified low-income residential customers;
* offering extensions and payment plans for qualified residential customers;
* special, dedicated agents who provide service to residential customers who are eligible for social agency assistance or who need special payment arrangements;
* average billing to help manage budget and bill size during the hottest months of the year for qualified residential customers;
* up to 10 percent lower pricing on select Reliant Energy residential plans, just in time for summer.
* free home energy audits for qualified low-income and elderly residential customers in Houston; some of these customers also may qualify for free attic insulation or free energy efficient compact fluorescent lights under a program operated by Reliant Energy’s community partner, Rebuilding Together Houston.
For more information on any of these programs, customers should speak with a Reliant Energy Customer Care agent at: 1-866-RELIANT.