Abengoa wins two CSP projects by South Africa’s Department of Energy

Seville, Spain, December 7, 2011 — Abengoa won the first two concentrating solar power projects in South Africa by South Africa’s Department of Energy.

These two projects contribute to South Africa’s goal to introduce up to 17,800 MW of renewable energy by 2030 and reduce its dependence on oil and natural gas.

The announcement, made at the United Nations Climate Change Conference COP17 in Durban, listed Abengoa’s Khi Solar One (50 MW) and KaXu Solar One (100 MW) as the only CSP projects in South Africa.

Abengoa’s two solar power projects will not only provide a clean energy future for South Africa, but will also bring economic development to the region. Abengoa will own 51 percent of each of the projects, with the remaining 49 percent to be held by the state-owned Industrial Development Corp.

Khi Solar One (50 MW) will be Abengoa’s third commercial solar tower and its first outside of Spain. It is a result of the latest generation of solar tower technology using superheated steam, which was developed by Abengoa in its R&D centers.

The plant will also use the technologically advanced dry cooling, which dramatically reduces water consumption by 80 percent. The tower plant will be located on a 600-hectare site close to Upington, also in the Northern Cape Province.

An average of 600 construction jobs will be created during the construction period and around 35 full-time plant operations employees will be hired.

KaXu Solar One, Abengoa’s 100 MW parabolic trough plant, will have storage capability for 3 hours, and will be located on a 1,100 hectare site near the town of Pofadder in the Northern Cape Province.

Abengoa’s two CSP plants, deploying the newest, most efficient solar technologies, will be a part of the foundation for the future of South Africa’s renewable energy growth, started by the 1,416 MW awarded during this tender.

Both projects represent a total investment of about $1.34 billion.


Previous articleEDF, GE join to develop gas-fired power plant in France
Next articleAEP, Duke Energy transmission project in Indiana moving forward

No posts to display