Nam Theun 2 hydroelectric power station in Laos goes online

Nam Theun, Laos, July 24, 2009 – The Nam Theun 2 1,070 MW hydroelectric power station produced its first kWh during tests on one of its six turbines. The tests were conducted by EDF in co-ordination with Nam Theun Power Co., a 35 percent subsidiary of EDF, and will continue until the power station is finally brought on line, expected at the end of the year.

The Nam Theun 2 power station is equipped with four 250 MW turbines producing electricity for Thailand’s power network, and two 37 MW turbines producing electricity for Laos. 95 percent of the energy produced will therefore be exported to Thailand via a 138 km high voltage transmission line. The remaining 5 percent will meet 20 percent of Laos’s annual electricity needs.

Hydroelectricity is the first renewable energy harnessed by EDF. Nam Theun 2 is a major project for the group in Southeast Asia and employed more than 9,000 people when the work was at its peak. Construction at the site was accompanied by an exemplary social and environmental commitment in collaboration with the government of Laos, local people and international financial backers, including the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, the European Investment Bank and the Agence Franàƒ§aise de Dàƒ©veloppement (French Development Agency).

Previous articleVectren Corp. opens landfill gas-fired power plant
Next articleSouth Dakota wind farm puts smart grid tech to work

No posts to display