Duke Energy agrees with North Carolina Public Staff on rate case

Duke Energy Carolinas, a unit of Duke Energy, reached an agreement with the North Carolina Public Staff concerning the utility’s request to raise base rates.

The settlement includes a significant reduction in the rate increase to customers, while providing a fair return for the company’s investors, according to Duke Energy.

Under the terms of the settlement, the increase to the company’s revenue is reduced to about $205 million in the first two years, with customer rates increasing an additional $30 million (for a cumulative increase of about $235 million) beginning in year three.

Duke Energy originally requested an average increase in retail revenues of 9.7 percent or about $446 million. The company has agreed to implement the rate increase over time.

During the first two years, the average increase will be about 4.5 percent. After that, rates will increase by an additional 0.6 percent for a total average increase of about 5.1 percent.

Previous articleThe data challenge of smart metering
Next articlePlug-in electric vehicle market to sell 3 million per year by 2020
The Clarion Energy Content Team is made up of editors from various publications, including POWERGRID International, Power Engineering, Renewable Energy World, Hydro Review, Smart Energy International, and Power Engineering International. Contact the content lead for this publication at Jennifer.Runyon@ClarionEvents.com.

No posts to display