GDF Suez turns on 205 MW biomass energy facility in Poland

French utility GDF Suez SA said June 5 it had put on stream a 205 MW biomass plant in southeastern Poland.

The Green Unit biomass system, situated in the town of Polaniec in southeastern Poland, is part of the 1.8-GW thermal power plant of GDF Suez Energia Polska, the Polish unit of GDF Suez.

The biomass facility is 80 percent powered by tree farming products, while the remaining 20 percent of its fuel is provided by agricultural by-products. It is estimated to generate enough electricity to meet the power demand of 600,000 homes a year, offsetting 1.2 million tons of carbon dioxide emissions.

Poland aims to derive 15 percent of its total energy from renewable energy sources by 2020.

Apart from the biomass facility, GDF Suez also operates 102 MW of wind power capacity in Poland and biomass capacity in co-combustion with coal. The French utility has installed 8.2 GW of renewable energy facilities in Europe and plans to build 2 GW more by 2017, it noted.

Previous articleJohnson Controls to supply lithium ion batteries to power hybrid trucks
Next articleSensus research shows benefits of AMI

No posts to display