View video footage from the implosion here.
Duke Energy demolished the station’s retired powerhouse as part of the company’s decommissioning program to modernize generation and dismantle older plants no longer in use.
Duke has completed six implosion events at retired power plants in the Carolinas since 2013.
The station began operating in 1940 and units 1 through 4 were retired in 2011. Its original four units were replaced with cleaner, more efficient units. The company added unit 5 in 1972 and unit 6 in 2012. Both are now part of the James E. Rogers Energy Complex.