Turkey chooses Mitsubishi/Areva nuclear reactor for new plant

Turkey has chosen a nuclear reactor design by Areva and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) in an agreement signed May 3. A new plant at Sinop on the Turkish side of the Black Sea could be generating power by about 2020.

The nuclear power plant carries a cost currently estimated at $22 billion and the design is for a four-unit plant. The reactor design, Atmea1, is a 1,100 MW pressurized water reactor (PWR) that uses technologies developed by MHI and Areva.

The design is the result of a joint venture between the Japanese and French companies dating back to 2007. The Turkish government has been trying to build a nuclear power plant since 2008. The country meets most of its power needs with imported natural gas, which generates about 45 percent of its electricity.

The plant will be developed and eventually operated by GDF Suez. The utility partner on the project is Turkey’s state-owned Elektrik Uretim.

Turkey is also building a four-unit nuclear power plant at Akkuyu. It should come online shortly before Sinop, in 2019. It will be the country’s first nuclear plant upon completion and 75 percent of the plant will be owned by Russia. Turkey will own the remaining 25 percent.

Previous articleGamesa unveils 2.5 MW wind turbine
Next articleScotland, South Korea to share data on wave and tidal energy

No posts to display