This report presents an analysis of North American deal activity in the power and utilities industry.
Q3 2011 Key Trends
- In Q3 2011 there were nine announced deals greater than $50 million and $3.1 billion in total deal value, representing a 72 percent decrease in value over the same period in 2010, which saw 14 announced deals totaling $11 billion.
- In Q3 2011, the average deal value of announced deals greater than $50 million decreased to $342 million from $781 million over the same period in 2010, primarily because of reduced deal activity from strategic buyers.
- The total number of announced deals for North America decreased to 36 from 46 in Q2 2011, a decrease of 22 percent in Q3 2011.
- During Q3 2011, there was one announced deal greater than $1 billion. The buyer acquired a portfolio of generation assets. While corporate transactions represented 60 percent of the announced top 10 deals, assets transactions represented 40 percent.
- Strategic investors continued to lead acquisitions greater than $50 million with 92 percent compared to 96 percent in the prior quarter, while financial investors represented 8 percent and 4 percent in previous quarter.