Washington, D.C., Mar. 27, 2006 — U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Secretary Samuel W. Bodman and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Stephen L. Johnson honored 67 businesses, groups and government entities for their accomplishments and leadership in the Energy Star program.
Organizations recognized have achieved energy savings and/or are helping consumers save money while reducing energy needs in an environmentally friendly manner. The ENERGY STAR Awards Ceremony was held at the Omni Shoreham Hotel in Washington, D.C.
“The ENERGY STAR program represents the very best in energy efficiency,” Bodman said. “We commend our partners for their accomplishments and we look forward to the continued success and development of energy-efficient, ENERGY STAR products.”
Over the past year, ENERGY STAR, with its industry partners, has helped provide consumers with energy-savings options, saving 150 billion kilowatt hours (kWh) hours of electricity, equivalent to $12 billion on electric bills, said a recent press release from the DOE. This was accomplished while maintaining or surpassing quality standards, improving features and enhancing personal comfort on a variety of ENERGY STAR products, the press release went on to say.
ENERGY STAR was formed in 1992 as a voluntary, market-based partnership to reduce air pollution through increased energy efficiency. In partnership with DOE, EPA works to offer businesses and consumers solutions to save energy and money while helping to protect the environment. More than 8,000 organizations share this vision and have joined ENERGY STAR as partners committed to improving the energy efficiency of products, homes and businesses.
ENERGY STAR top award winners:
* Whirlpool Corp.: Sustained Excellence Award — Appliances;
* GE Consumer & Industrial: Sustained Excellence Award — Appliances and Lighting;
* Osram Sylvania: Sustained Excellence Award — Lighting;
* Gorell Windows and Doors: Sustained Excellence Award — Windows;
* Precision Entry Inc: Partner of the Year — Doors;
* The Home Depot: Partner of the Year — Retail;
* Maytag Corp.: Excellence in ENERGY STAR Outreach;
* Lowe’s Corp.: Excellence in ENERGY STAR Outreach;
* Sears, Roebuck and Co.: Excellence in ENERGY STAR Outreach;
* Sierra Pacific Power Co.: Nevada Power Co. Excellence in ENERGY STAR Outreach.