Pleasanton, Calif., February 2, 2010 – Constellation Energy deployed Transpara Corp. Visual KPI in their central Performance Management and Diagnostics center.
All levels of management use the Visual KPI data visualization solution to monitor and manage key performance metrics – such as operations, predictive maintenance engineering, vibration analysis, emissions tracking and daily reports – from their PDAs and smart phones.
Visual KPI’s lightweight analytics aggregate operations data from Constellation’s existing IT systems – including the OSIsoft PI System data historian and SmartSignal – and deliver actionable information in the form of rich scorecards and trends directly to users’ mobile devices.
A decision support tool employed by more than 100 users on a daily basis, Visual KPI extends the value of Constellation’s existing investments for improved operations and business performance.
Constellation Energy uses Visual KPI for a variety of operational performance management functions, including:
* Remote tracking of generation totals, generation units running and status, as well as real-time energy pricing data.
* Predictive maintenance engineering, including performance monitoring and vibration monitoring — predictive maintenance technicians, performance engineers and vibration specialists rely on Visual KPI’s easy access to real-time data and alerts for monitoring and diagnostics.
* “Manage by Exception” for controllable losses (e.g. steam pressure and temperature), ensuring all stakeholders are engaged and can easily access alerts and drill-down information.
* Remote monitoring of emissions tracking and vibration analysis, enabling subject matter experts to identify early warnings before problems become critical, thereby increasing plant availability.
* Remote PI Server health monitoring, issue diagnosis, database back-up aging and tracking via PDAs.
* SmartSignal Watchlist alerts on Blackberries and Mobile Windows, which improve users’ ability to catch equipment-related issues and allow stakeholders to remain in the loop without adding burden to the Performance Management and Diagnostics staff.
Constellation Energy is a supplier of energy products and services to wholesale and retail electric and natural gas customers. It owns a fleet of generating units located throughout the U.S., totaling about 9,100 MW of generating capacity, and is among the leaders pursuing the development of new nuclear plants in the U.S.