October 30, 2012 – More than 1.6 million FirstEnergy customers in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Ohio and West Virginia are currently without power as a result of damaging and far-reaching Hurricane Sandy.
As of 7:30 a.m., the FirstEnergy outage totals by utility include:
- Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L) — More than 930,000 customers
- Metropolitan Edison (Met-Ed) — More than 203,000 customers
- The Illuminating Co. (CEI) — More than 203,000 customers
- Potomac Edison — More than 90,000 customers
- Mon Power — More than 85,000 customers
- Ohio Edison — More than 41,000 customers
- Penelec — More than 35,000 customers
- West Penn Power — More than 10,000 customers
- Penn Power — 400 customers
- Toledo Edison — 250 customers
These preliminary outage numbers could climb as the storm makes its way inland. While about 7,800 FirstEnergy utility and contractor personnel are poised for service restoration, the treacherous conditions associated with the slow-moving storm will delay workers’ ability to assess damage and conduct restoration work. Preliminary estimates indicate the possibility for lengthy outages.